Park Moreleigh Devon
Cultural Trail: Man & the Landscape. This horse riding route is part of a series of themed trails to help you learn more about the landscape around you. Other trail themes include - Trade & Settlement; Coast & Conflict; Colourful Landscape.
|Start||Preston Cross / Moreleigh Mount|
Quiet country lanes; bridleways; green lanes.
There are no public toilets along this route.
Parking on road verge 500m south west of Moreleigh Mount towards Preston Cross.
Public payphone by Church House, Woodleigh.
|OS map||Explorer OL20|
1. From parking, as you face the road, and moor beyond, turn left along road.
2. At junction at Preston Cross follow road round to left. After 20m bear left at Preston Fork, signed for Capton and Lowerdale. Turn immediately right through metal gate and follow fenced-in grass track along field edge to left.
3. Where track ends at farm storage area, turn right down road.
4. As you climb out of dip, just before right hand bend turn left through gate onto Woodland Trust land and follow path.
5. After 100m, just below 5 bar gate turn left to follow public bridleway down through woodland plantation.
6. Cross stream and follow bridleway up and around to right of Coldharbour Wood.
7. Just as you reach small hamlet of Grimpstonleigh, turn right opposite wooden carport to follow track along green lane.
8. As track levels off at top of climb after 1/2 mile, turn right back onto Woodland Trust land at Watkin and Centry Wood. Follow permissive bridleway up to left. Bear left when you reach the trees to skirt edge of plantation.
9. After 3/4 mile, exit plantation through gate by 'Public Bridleway' sign. Turn right along road.
10. By farm at bottom of dip turn left in front of Hendham House. Follow lane down hill.
11. Do not cross river at Topsham Bridge but follow lane straight on signed 'To Farm Only - No Through Road'.