Guest House Totnes England
Contemporary, friendly and exotic
This 16th Century manor house has been renovated by Kevin and Stuart in a modern style with delicate silks and Buddha carvings giving it an Eastern twist. Runner up in 2011 ‘Britain’s Best B&B’, Strete Barton House really deserves the accolades it has received as a comfortable gay friendly boutique B&B gem on the Devon coast.
The Daily Telegraph : One of the best B&B's in the West Country 2014
Guests from Furtherafield receive a 10% discount off stays of 7 nights or
Offers are subject to availability and cannot be combined. Offers are only
available for bookings made by telephone (64) or by email
email@example.com Please quote "Furtherafield 10% offer" when making a
Situated in the picturesque village of Strete five miles from Dartmouth in South Hams area of Devon, this chic B&B has panoramic views across Start Bay. It is only a mile from the award-winning beaches of Slapton and Blackpool Sands and just a stroll from two highly recommended award-winning restaurants in the village.
The sailing town of Salcombe is 15 miles away and the South West Coastal path is only 30 metres if you would rather avoid the car and spot yachts from the shore. If you have left the car at home, Totnes railway station is three hours from London Paddington and twenty minute’s taxi ride away.
About The Owners
Kevin, who is from Devon, always dreamed of running a B&B since his childhood and convinced Stuart, originally from South Africa, to give it a go. They had both spent some time in the South Hams on holiday and fell in love with the dramatic un-spoilt coastline, fabulous walks and beaches, as well as the wonderful seafood restaurants. That was enough and as soon as the decision was made it took just two weeks to find “the” place and sign the contract! Five years on, both Kevin and Stuart are enjoying the B&B experience and the wonderful South Hams. For them, there is nothing quite like wakening up, looking out the window and getting a sea view – whatever the weather!
- We fall in love with the South Hams area of Devon a little more each time we visit. It isn't known as the English Riveria for nothing - the coast is stunning and we invite you find more beautiful coastal walks in England. Check out Blackpool Sands, Torcross and Slapton Sands. We walked to Salcombe (via the ferry) and back with a pitstop for lunch here at Gara Rock. A perfect day!
- Exploring Dartmouth, an atttactive workaday harbour town with good shops and cafes but also home to the fancy Mitch Tonks sea food restaurant but don't forget that he also has a takeaway fish and chip shop too. Salcombe is a pretty harbour town which has had the full chi chi make over thanks to Kath Kidson and co but still beautiful, and you will be seduced by its charm enough to find yourself gawping in estate agent windows dreaming about a move to the coast!
- The contemporary lounge where you can sink into sofas with a magazine after a bracing walk along nearby beaches plus panoramic views from the bedrooms that you can soak up while you decide what to do with your day.
- Sampling a hot stone massage and having a facial before supper out in one of the award-winning local restaurants in the village.
- Pooch can come too if you stay in the Cottage Suite - which is perfect as there are lots of great places to walk and dog friendly beaches to explore on the doorstep of Strete Barton House.
- The homemade cake and warm welcome that is just what you need after a long journey. Very very civilised!
- Five double en-suite bedrooms with luxurious king or super-king sized beds including a French sleigh bed and a full four poster with silk runners and cushions that give the rooms their Eastern feel.
- There is also am adjacent cottage suite with a private entrance leading into a private hallway and living room appointed with a stylish leather sofa and easy chair to sink into before a cosy fire. The suite also has a large double room with sea views with WC and basin en-suite upstairs and a full bathroom downstairs. This suite is dog friendly too.
- In all rooms you are welcomed with fresh flowers, fluffy towels, DVD/CD player, wall-mounted flat screen TVs and free WiFi, plus hairdryers, radio alarms (if you really need it...) teas, coffee, water and a selection of magazines to flick through.