Park Torcross Devon
Cultural Trail: Man and the Landscape. This walk is part of a series of themed trails to help you learn more about the landscape around you. Other trail themes include - Trade & Settlement; Coast & Conflict; Colourful Landscape.
|Start||Torcross car park|
Coast path, green lane, surfaces road. Mostly fairly even underfoot, with some slippery and muddy patches in wet weather.
|Obstacles and steep gradients||
4 flights of steps; 2 stiles.
The route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Bus service 93 to Torcross from Dartmouth, Kingsbridge and Plymouth. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Public toilets at Torcross car park.
Torcross car park, pay and display.
Public payphone in Torcross, 400m from post office along main road around back of Ley (passed near end of walk). Start Bay Stores and Post Office, Torcross.
|OS map||Explorer OL20|
1. From car park, cross road to seafront and turn right along the sea wall. At the end take the steps signed 'Coast Path'.
2. Follow the track at the top, then turn left following yellow waymarker arrow up hill and onto footpath. Path climbs inland around the back of old quarry, and drops down to Beesands Cellars.
3. Shortly before the path reaches the beach, turn right at fingerpost onto public footpath signed for Widewell. Alternatively, to visit beach, go straight on. Retrace your steps and turn left here.
4. Follow path up field edge cross track, and continue, following yellow waymarkers.
5. Route emerges past cottages at Widdicombe, then bears right up drive. After 200m turn right at fingerpost along public footpath signed 'Widewell 1/4m' and drop down through field. At road turn left.
6. At the junction go straight on, signed for Totnes on blue cycle route sign. Proceed with care down right side of this sometimes busy road, staying on raised verge where possible. As you approach right hand bend, cross road to follow left hand verge, then turn very sharply left down narrow lane.
7. Past caravan site at Island Farm, turn right down green lane signed 'Sumerye Lane'.
8. At road, cross, turn left and walk with care down main road through Chillington. After 100m, opposite butcher's shop, turn sharp right up narrow lane leading up green lane signed 'Frittiscombe Lane'.
9. Cross road at top and follow public footpath diagonally down across field opposite, signed 'Stokenham 1/2m'. Cross second field to the road. Turn right down hill.
10. At the junction, turn right and immediately left to continue down narrow lane into Stokenham village.
11. At junction at the bottom turn left (or right for Tradesman's Arms, 20m on right). Continue past 'T' no-through-road sign, and turn right through lych gate into churchyard. At left of church turn left. Leave churchyard through iron gate, following public footpath fingerpost ahead and to left across field.
12. Turn right at road. Just before main road turn left signed 'Permissive Path Torcross 3/4m'.